Re: [Shop-talk] Running a building costs, 6k ft^2 block garage

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Running a building costs, 6k ft^2 block garage
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 12:07:10 -0500
At 10:54 AM 1/5/2010, Mark Andy wrote:

 >One of the houses we've seen listed has a 6000 ft^2 block building.
I've only
 >seen one picture of the outside, so I don't know much about it.
 >
 >My first reaction was "sounds good!" but then I started thinking
about it a little >and realized I have no idea what maintenance costs
and utility costs would be >for a building like that... Anyone have
any idea or rules of thumb?

Mark,

For starters, contact the relator, they should be able to give you
copies of the
utility bills.

Next, it would depened on where you live.  In the Frozen North, you winter
heating bills will be high than if it's a southern house.  You don't say where
you are.

Most of your current bills should stay the same, unless you are moving out of
the city you currently like in.  So thinks like Your water / sewage
bill should not
change, same for your phone, a cable TV.

The only bills that should change are things like heating and
cooling.  How big is
your current house?  What is the delta in size?  If the new house is
larger than
it will most likely cost more to heat and cool the new house.

What type of heat do you currently have?  What about the new
house?  Does it have, Oil, gas, electric for heating.  If you are
going from gas to oil, I'd expect
your bill to go up.

Next what about the difference in value of the 2 homes.  Your relastate taxes
will go up.

Where the new house is located, what about the local income and sales taxes?

As to household maintenance, the only things you should have to worry about
there is the cost of roofing.  You should be able to call a local
roofer and get
a rough idea as to the cost of a new roof.

What is the outside of your existing house, and the new house.  If
the new house
is wood, then you painting/staining.  If it's sided, you can get a
rough cost to
reside it.

How big are the respective yards?  Do you do the yard work or have it done?
An increase in yard size, would probably cause an increase in lawn maintenance.
Of you may need a riding lawn mower - $1K to $2K.

Do either house have city water and sewage or is one of them using a well, and
or septic tank?  Again associated costs.

My house, here in Virginia Beach, VA is all electric with a heat pump
for heating
and cooling, with an electric hot water heater, clothes dryer, and stove.  My
monthly electric bill is $217 every month (I'm on the budget
plan).  In addition
I have gas logs in the family room to help warm it in the winter.  So
I'm paying
a about $200/yr for propane gas.

John

Va. Beach, Va