Re: [Shop-talk] Running a building costs, 6k ft^2 block garage

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Running a building costs, 6k ft^2 block garage
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 21:08:27 -0600
Regular basic vented natural gas or propane heaters wall require no
electricity.  I have one in the garage, and though it's old, it brings in
combustion air from outside so paint and gas fumes aren't quite as much of a
worry.  As Randall points out, it's straight convection, but if you had a
couple of them at opposite ends, it should be enough to keep the frost out.

As far as an unvented heater, remember that water is still a huge component
of the combustion products, and even if it's relatively clean-burning, it'll
still put lots of moisture into the building.  Even if the building isn't
all that tight, humidity is still going to build up and that's not a good
thing for your vehicles and tools, not to mention the structure.

Karl