Re: [Shop-talk] Oil grade selection

To: shoptalk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Oil grade selection
From: Battmain <battmain@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 07:38:58 -0700 (PDT)
The car in my fleet with the most mileage has 263k miles. I used
10w30 due to
the average temps in my area. It has dino oil that
I changed every 5k miles.
As the leaks grew larger, I would have
to carry a quart with me. Occasionally
the oil light would flash
depending on how hard I drove the car. I'd top it up
and keep
going. It is sitting now waiting until I get to fixing the clutch.
All
that practice shifting gears without the clutch worked great
to get the
car home.

The turbo gets synthetic every 5k miles. The truck (gas) gets dino
every 5k miles. So far, all has been good. Both the turbo and
the truck
recommended 5w30. I chose 10w30 due to the temps
in my area. The race car also
gets 10w30 sythetic. (Hey, it's free!)

I've never subscribed to the
3000mile, 3month theory because