[Shop-talk] Oil grade selection

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Oil grade selection
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 22:52:30 -0500
I've been running the manufacturer-recommended 5W-30 in my 2 modern cars, both
current-generation American V-8's, each purchased used with 25,000 and 36,000
miles on them, and I've used synthetic since we bought them.

I've always been leery of such thin oil, despite the manufacturers' assurances
that the engines are designed for it.  Stands to reason that they want their
CAFI numbers as high as possible, and thin oil probably gives them a little
extra mileage in the fleet.

Recently I read a lengthy article about automotive oil (senior moment - darn
if I know where saw it), and the crux of the story was that 5W-30 is indeed
really too thin, particularly in the summer, and running at least 10W-40 is
far better for the engine.  Maybe 5W-30 in the dead of winter (I'm in the
Chicago area), but not in the summer.

The author also said (and I tend to believe this even though I'm still using
synthetic for now) that synthetic is really a waste on most cars in typical
use, because the additive packages in regular oils are so good today, and
changing at 3,000 miles (which I do with the synthetic anyway) gives so much
protection that synthetic just can't do any better.

This list has some mechanics working on current-type cars - what do you say
about these issues ??

TIA
Karl

A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters
discover they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public
treasury.

Author unknown