Re: [Shop-talk] Mercruiser 4.3

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Mercruiser 4.3
From: "old dirtbeard" <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 19:21:44 -0700
Dear Mark,

Is that the GM 4.3 V6 engine in marine mode?

I have an '03 GMC Savana cargo van with the 4.3L V6, and I think it is the
best truck engine ever. It develops 260 ft/lbs of torque at 2,800 RPM and
gets 20+ MPG on the highway. It is a torquey stump puller that sips gas. It
just about the best engine I have owned.

It probably is one of GM's oldest engines, too, as it is a 90-degree V-6
developed in the mid-1980s by removing two cylinders from GM 's small block
V-8. A counter-rotating balance shaft was employed to balance primary crank
vibration. They have made millions of them and have it worked out all the
small stuff over the last 20+ years. It feels like a V8 off the line and
drinks gas like a V6 at speed.

best,

doug