Re: [Shop-talk] Mercruiser 4.3

To: Mark <mark@nashvilletn.org>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Mercruiser 4.3
From: Trevor Boicey <trevor@boicey.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 21:50:16 -0400
Mark wrote:
> My next-door neighbor just bought a 93 Sea Ray with a Mercruiser 4.3 V6
> engine.  He has had a heck of a time starting it but once he does get it
> running it runs good.  He called me tonight thinking that I might help with
> the problem.  We centered on the electric choke and I think the problem is
> in the driver seat.  He doesn't have a manual so we don't know what the
> procedure should be.  It looks like the throttle should be disengaged from
> the shit mechanism with the unlock button below the engine control.  At the
> first detent the choke seems to be free to move mechanically and if cold the
> electric choke servo should move the choke butterfly.  Can anyone confirm
> what the starting sequence should be, are we getting warm?  It is a Alpha
> One Chevy based V6, 2 barrel carb with a Thunderbolt ignition.  I can't seem
> to find anything on line about operating the engine.

   The proper starting technique is important, I have the smaller
Mercruiser 3.0, relative new, 2006. If you follow it it starts well, if
you don't, you look silly trying to start your new boat and it doesn't
start.

   So ideally, find that starting procedure... but...

   If it's the carb'ed V6, the procedure is PROBABLY...

- Push in throttle-only button
- Slowly move throttle all the way wide open, then retreat to about 30%
throttle. This sets the choke.
- Start engine.
- After running a minute or so, you should be able to lower the throttle
to idle, which will click out the "throttle only" button and away you go.

   If it doesn't start right away, I usually pump the throttle forward
and back quickly. But this may actually be a bad habit, although it does
seem to work eventually.