Re: [Shop-talk] 6 volts

To: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] 6 volts
From: Pat <Pat@HorneSystemsTx.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 09:07:42 -0500
Dave,

8 volt batteries are/were fairly common on older farm tractors. The 6
volt batteries just didn't get the engines to turn over very fast and
had a weak spark, probably from lack of maintenance of the electrical
system. When I bought my 1952 Farmall Super C, it had an 8 volt battery
in it. It worked fine until the battery died. Rather than put in another
8 volt battery (still very available here in farm country), I replaced
the coil and generator with 12 volt parts. It has worked fine ever
since. I have some lights to get working on it, but there is no rush, I
don't use it after dark and have higher priority use of my time.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake David C.:

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001