Re: [Shop-talk] air fttings

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] air fttings
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 11:09:55 -0500
Matt wrote:

> I am also thinking about converting my 1/4" fittings to 3/8".
> I currently have a mix and it can be frustrating getting things
> matched up so I am looking to reduce one variable...

It's always good to pick one standard and stick with it.

The difference between air flow for 1/4 inch and 3/8 inch fittings is
very, very small.  If you have a lot of 1/4 inch fittings, I'd consider
changing the 3/8 fittings so save money.

I went pondered this change some time back.  That's when I found a nice
chart that showed the pressure/flow loss for the different fittings.  At
typical compressor values, it isn't much difference - using a 10 foot
shorter hose would probably make a bigger difference in flow.  Along
those lines, a larger diameter air hose make much more difference than
the diameter of the fittings at the ends of the hose.

I decided to just go with the normal 1/4 fittings, simply because they
are the most common and easiest to find.

Tim Mullen

Chantilly, VA