Re: [Shop-talk] 6 volts

To: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] 6 volts
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 22:55:32 -0400
On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 10:18 PM, David C. <cavanadd@verizon.net> wrote:
> And yet another somewhat unrelated data point....
>
> Back in the late '70s I had a '51 (or so) GMC half ton pickup.  6 volt
> system, starter via a pedal on the floor.  Ignition switch was a toggle
> on the dash.  Manual choke.  Pull the choke out, step on the starter
> pedal, after it turned over once or twice, flip the toggle; started
> right up.  It had an EIGHT volt battery in it, no other changes.  I
> understand the regulator had been adjusted for enough output to keep it
> charged.  Lights and everything else worked as normal.  The electrical
> system was one of the few things on that truck I DIDN'T have problems
> with.

The 8V battery was a pretty common jalopy fix for a slow turning
starter.  Easier to slap one in, give the voltage regulator a couple
twists of a screwdriver (They're mechanical, and can often be adjusted
to 12V or more) then it is to figure out what's wrong.  (Usually, bad
ground, worn out starter motor, bad genny, or all three.)  Does
shorten life span of light bulbs,though.

It was also done to hot-rodded cars; the high compression motors are
harder to start, and require more oommh  to start.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com