Re: [Shop-talk] hand tool recommendations that don't break the bank

To: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] hand tool recommendations that don't break the bank
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 21:09:05 -0500
On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 7:03 PM, Eric J Russell <ejrussell@mebtel.net> wrote:
> For a tool that I will only use rarely, H-F is often adequate.
>
>  For a tool that will get occasional or frequent use, better quality is
>  a worthwhile investment.
>
>  I do often use a Stanley "6 in 1" screwdriver (and I keep one each
>  vehicle). It has a large & small flat blade, a large & small phillips,
>  plus two sizes of hex drive (1/4" & 5/16" I think). Its only draw back
>  is for situations where you need to reach down into a small access
>  hole - the shank is larger in diameter than a standard screwdriver.

If you can resist the urge to use a screwdriver as a chisel, hammer,
and pry bar, an interchangable bit driver is quite cost effective.
You can spend money on good quality bits where it matters, and not on
the handle, which doesn't much effect how the tool works.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com