Re: [Shop-talk] Stainless steel welding

To: "Jorge Garcia" <fortee9er@yahoo.com>, <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Stainless steel welding
From: Donald H Locker <dhlocker@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 18:31:02 -0500
Hi, Chad.  (and David)

 From Metals And How To Weld Them (James F Lincoln Arc Welding Foundation,)

Chapter 15 (pp 233-254) is devoted entirely to Stainless Steels and
High-Chromium Alloys; I won't choose any selections from it unless there are
specific questions.

p. 152: (addressing carbide precipitation and the effect on the HAZ and
corrosion resistance.)

------------------- beginning of quoted material -------------------

Stainless steels of the nickel-chromium variety are austenitic by nature even
at
room temperatures.  When such steels are heated, as by welding operations,
carbide precipitation is apt to occur.  The carbides, or carbon compounds, are
chromium as well as iron.  When chromium is used up in this way, in chemical
union with the precipitated carbon, the remaining austenite is deficient in the
chromium element.  The result is a serious reduction int he corrosion-resisting
properties of the stainless steel.

When the carbides are precipitated in stainless steel, they appear mainly at
the
grain boundaries.  If subjected to corrosion, ethe carbides along the grain
boundaries will be attacked readily.  Severe corrosive conditions will cause
the
grains to lose there coherence and the steel to fail.

In making a weld on stainless, there will always be a region some distance back
from the weld where the base metal will be at the exact temperature of the
precipitation range: 800-1500 F (Fig. 9-3).  Consequently the stainless
qualities of the structure will be lost unless steps are taken to prevent
precipitation.

Austenitic stainless steels may be stabilized against carbide precipitation by
the addition of elements known as stabilizers.  Such elements are columbium and
titanium.  These elements have a ready affinity for carbon; they will grab and
hold fast the carbon that might otherwise have been attracted to the chromium.
Moreover, both titanium and columbium carbide resemble stainless steel itself
in
having high resistance to corrosion.  Stabilized stainless steels, therefore,
will not fail under the combination of heat and corrosive attack.  Austenitic
stainless steels also are available in several grades with extra low carbon
(ELC).  Since there is less carbon, the possibility of chromium migration to
the
grain boundaries is minimized.

It is well to remember that the stabilized and ELC austenitic steels will
resist
carbide precipitation.  If the welded stainless is to be subjected to corrosive
conditions, particularly at elevated temperatures, the base metal should be a
stabilized steel and it should be welded with electrodes or filler rods that
have also been stabilized.

HTH,
Donald.