RE: Home a/c question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Home a/c question
From: wmc_st@xxiii.com
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 20:56:13 -0400
At 08:45 PM 5/22/2007, you wrote:
>Follow Randall's advice and clean out the condensate drain.  On my last
>furnace the moldy stuff plugged the drain right at the condensate pan (under
>the evaporator coils) twice in a four year period.  Each time, the water
>overflowed into the furnace and caused many things to rust.

Or replace it all if need be.  From what I've seen, HVAC guys all use
glued up PVC pipe, with nice plumb horizontal and vertical
runs.  This make the water slow to drain and encourages funk
growth.  And makes it impossible to disassemble for cleaning.  Makes
for *great* job security, no doubt.

Buy PVC, including a pre-formed trap.  Angle it for good
drainage.  Just press-fit it together.  And make some match-marks so
you can dis- and re-assemble it to clean.  I like to install a tee
fitting with a short vertical run and cap, just upstream of the
trap;  you can pour bleach in at the end of the cooling season to
help keep things clean.

Also take apart the "sump pump" if equipped and clean it out.

   -Wayne