Re: 2 vs 4 post lifts

To: scott.hall@comcast.net
Subject: Re: 2 vs 4 post lifts
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 01:23:28 -0500
On 2/1/07, scott.hall@comcast.net <scott.hall@comcast.net> wrote:

> From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
>
> > Given an unlimited budget, I'd have an in-ground two-post.
>

> what's that? there was a gas station that went out of business here; they had
>several hydraulic in-ground one-post lifts. oh, I'd have loved to have one of
>those, but I don't know how I'd get it installed (or removed, for that
>matter). and anything under-car seems like it'd be kinda a pain with one of
>those. I think I'd like a two-post, but then I don't need it for storage.

A two-post in-ground lift is a two post lift, in the ground.  So
instead of having arms travel on above ground posts, the posts are
hydraulic cylinders.  See
http://www.rotarylift.com/products/Product_Detail/Product_Detail.asp?PN=Inground%20SmartLifts%AE&CAT=Professional%20Automotive%20Service
for some pictures.  When the lift is lowered, you've only got the arms
in the way.  Never any worries about hitting the lift with a car door.
 No limits on the height of the vehicle you can lift with one, since
there's no top bar.

Single post lifts are great for general work -- oil changes, brakes,
tires, suspension.  The single post might as well not be there if
you're doing a tire rotation.  They do suck for under car work, like
exhaust, or trying to drop a tranny.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com