Re: Air line piping

To: "Bill Gilroy" <wmgilroy@gmail.com>, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Air line piping
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 09:41:31 -0500
Bill,
I'm still looking into this for my shop, but what I found is that the black
pipe is suck a cheaper, safer solution that the others don't make sense.

Even if you rent a threading machine, the cost is much cheaper.  Air lines
are not something that you need to take down and put up all the time, so
'quick fittings' are not really needed.  They just add to the cost.  Plus,
each type is propiretary, so if the manufacture goes out of business in 5
years, and you need to fix a branch or add a leg, you might be up the
creek.

My neighbor is a steam engine nut.  Every time I talk to him, he has some
great ideas with black pipe, (Like running a LARGE diameter pipe for the
main leg and teeing off that.)  The large pipe will act like a mini tank
and help the compressor work more effectively over a longer run.  (I have
over 200' of lines to run in my plan.)  Alot of these "speciality" air
lines don't offer large diameter pipes (or do so at such a great cost.)

Plus, black pipe fails the nicest.  A slow leak is way better then a larger
"pop" and no pressure.

Just my $.0206 worth (with state sales tax)

Inch

"We all know we're dying, And there's no sign of a parachute."
     Tori Amos