RE: Mounting an electric hoist

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Mounting an electric hoist
From: "Joe Szwed" <jszwed@energykinetics.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 09:06:34 -0400
> My garage has 11'  ceilings with wood joist and 2  2x12s
for
> the center beam.
>
> Can anyone help me with advice on how to mount the hoist
on
> the joist so it will be strong enough to hold 250-300 lbs.

What I did in my old shop was attach a 10ft long piece of 4"
I beam to the rafters.
In my case the shop was an old barn and the rafters fairly
heavy, I just attached it to each rafter to spread out the
load.  I had a small trolley mounted on the beam.  It didn't
go side to side, but you could pick up a motor and pull it
ahead because the hoist was on that trolley.  It was very
handy and didn't take up any room.  The hoist I used wasn't
very heavy so I could hook it on or off easily.  Came in
handy for loading things in the back of a pick up too.  For
me it also worked better than a cherry picker because the
cement floor in that old barn wasn't very smooth.

Joe