RE: anybody have any experience with leaky water lines to

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: anybody have any experience with leaky water lines to
From: "Gil Fuqua" <gil.fuqua@cci-ir.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:39:12 -0500
We had a slow leak in the water line somewhere between the meter and
house...about 1,000 feet of water line to check.  We hired a firm,
LeakTek, to probe the ground and locate the leak.  They do this by using
high-end noise probes to listen for the leak.  The leak was located in
this manner.  We dug up the line and repaired it (copper).  LeakTek was
not cheap but a whole lot less than replacing 1,000 feet of water line.

I also had a leak develop in a plastic line between the house and the
garden.  I knew where the plastic line was buried and used a metal rod
to probe the ground until I found a soft spot due to the water leakage.
I dug up the line and was within 6" of the leak (due to a bad coupling).

I would first suggest that you turn off the water at the house (or
install a shut-off valve at the house) and then check your water meter
to see if it shows a leak.  This will help you narrow down the problem
to determine if it is inside the house or in the line.

Gil Fuqua
Nashville, TN