Re: anybody have any experience with leaky water lines to

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: anybody have any experience with leaky water lines to
From: Larry Spector <lspector@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:28:11 -0400
Richard,

I haven't had to deal with it yet- but several of my neighbors have and I've
spoken with the contractors who have done the repairs/replacement. In our
case we have blue plastic supply lines between the meter and house. These
lines crack and split with age. Depending on the severity they can sometimes
weld the plastic to fix a leak. More often they simply replace the line. One
option was to use a specialized machine which can follow the plastic pipe
from the inside. This thing apparently splits the old pipe and drags a new
copper pipe along through the old (now split) pipe. The other options were
either digging a trench for the new pipe or using one of the mole devices to
bore underground between holes at the street and at the house and pulling
new pipe through.

I was quoted on the order of $3k to get this done, and all three methods
were within $500 of each other. This is in Northern Virginia.

-Larry