Re: anybody have any experience with leaky water lines to

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: anybody have any experience with leaky water lines to
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 09:15:39 -0700
> Have any of you had to deal with replacing/repairing the water line from
> the meter to  your house?

Well, not a leaky line, but we replaced ours as part of a remodel, we
needed the extra volume for fire sprinklers.

You obviously know where your meter is.  Do you know where the line runs
to get from the meter to the house?  Do you know what material the line
is made of?  How old is it?  Do you have a shutoff valve at the house
end of the line?  If I thought I had a leak between the meter and the
house I'd put in a shutoff at the house end just as a troubleshooting aid.

Is your water provided by the local municipality or some other agency or
firm?  Everything on the house side of the meter is *probably* your
responsibility and *probably* subject to inspection only by your local
building department but you'll want to make the phone calls and make
sure you know everyone who needs to have their nose in the process.

Our old line was 1" copper, our new line is 2" Schedule 80 PVC.  The
routing of the old line put it right under the driveway, which is good
(well protected) and bad (inaccessible without a lot of violence.)  The
new line is mostly off to one side of the driveway and 18in down.

Sch 80 PVC is nice tough stuff but expensive, mine came from the local
Ewing Irrigation outlet:

http://www.ewing1.com

Our local inspectors would have been satisfied with Sch 40.  They were
insistent on any pipe above ground being painted with UV-resistant paint
(I used Krylon Contractor Door and Shutter, bought a case of it from
these guys:

http://www.utilitysafeguard.com

'cause no one locally had ever even seen the stuff.

It doesn't freeze here so I can't speak to the issues that might be
involved if you live where it does.

John.