RE: Halogen pot lights

To: "'Trevor Boicey'" <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: RE: Halogen pot lights
From: "Michael Lowe" <mlowe@itrade-sa.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 11:29:58 -0600
Hello Trevor,

I had a similar problem, with the same bulbs and found a real problem was
the 'pots' the lamps were in were placed so the vents were blocked and no
air could circulate (there was also insulation around some of the fixtures).
We measured temps at the fixtures and found them around 350-400deg. F, way
too high for any sort of safety. There was a little char around a couple.
Before the extreme of removing the fixtures, we fixed them so the vents were
cleared and set up a couple of muffin fans to circulate air in the joist
open area, and the temps went down into the mid 100deg range. I will echo
using the higher quality bulbs, better all around. We kept them in and bulb
life went a much better range, still a little pricy compared to other forms,
though the ones we have on dimmers last much longer than straight connected
lamps.
We use the 'puck' style, transformer connected, lamps in the kitchen for
undercounter lighting, with dimmers also and those bulbs last 5-8x longer.

Regards,
Michael
Black Forest, CO

   Ok, I gather from all the marijuana references that maybe the term
"pot light" isn't universal. ;>

   Let's try this again.

   My finished basement has a large area that is lit with recessed
lighting. Each light is a single bulb, not in fixtures or groups. The
lights live in little "cups" in the ceiling, where small halogen bulbs
screw in.

   The bulbs have the same conical shape as the apollo astronaut
splashdown capsule. The bottoms side ends up flush with the roof and
fills the hole.

   Around here we call them pot lights. ;>

   Anyways the bulbs don't last long. I probably have about 20 bulbs in
the room, and since they each seem to last 6 months to a year, they are
blowing every other week.

   Since they cost $6 each, it seems like I am forever buying $24 four
packs just to keep up.

   Are there any other types of bulbs that will fit in these sockets and
last longer? They kind of have to look classy so I probably can't use
those twisted flourescent replacements....