Re: Halogen pot lights

To: Marknsuz <marknsuz@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Halogen pot lights
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:55:56 -0400
Marknsuz wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Trevor Boicey" <tboicey@brit.ca>
>

>>   Is there any alternative the the halogen pot lights that seem to
>> last 6 months?
>

> Many companies make excellent fluorescent lighting for growing your
> marijuana.  Any good gardening store should have several to choose from.

   Ok, I gather from all the marijuana references that maybe the term
"pot light" isn't universal. ;>

   Let's try this again.

   My finished basement has a large area that is lit with recessed
lighting. Each light is a single bulb, not in fixtures or groups. The
lights live in little "cups" in the ceiling, where small halogen bulbs
screw in.

   The bulbs have the same conical shape as the apollo astronaut
splashdown capsule. The bottoms side ends up flush with the roof and
fills the hole.

   Around here we call them pot lights. ;>

   Anyways the bulbs don't last long. I probably have about 20 bulbs in
the room, and since they each seem to last 6 months to a year, they are
blowing every other week.

   Since they cost $6 each, it seems like I am forever buying $24 four
packs just to keep up.

   Are there any other types of bulbs that will fit in these sockets and
last longer? They kind of have to look classy so I probably can't use
those twisted flourescent replacements....

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca