RE: Code Scanners

To: <eric@megageek.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Code Scanners
From: "Mullen, Tim \(IIS\)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:40:18 -0400
> I'm looking for a code reader for vehicles.  I would
> prefer one that...
>
> Does as many vehicle types as possible (but Ford, Jeep,
> and Chevy as a min)
> Hooks up to a laptop that allows readers while the car
> is being driven.
> Allows me to reset idiot lights.
> Preferable USB connection.

Try < http://www.obd-2.com/ > - it's the one I bought a couple of years
ago, and it works just fine.  Someone gave me a 75 MHz Laptop that I
dedicated for use as my scanner, but if you have a better laptop, it
should work even better.

It does all you want and more.  Mine is the $182 Tricom setup (it does
all the various ODB-II protocols).  They sell a USB converter for $28
more.  You can even get a CANbus version that does all the ODB-II
protocols and CANbus.

Updates are constantly being released with new capabilities (and
compatibilities with new cars), and all you have to do is download them
from the web site.

The web site isn't anything fancy, but the scanner software actually
works very well.  It's more than paid for itself for me...

No financial interest, yadda, yadda, yadda, just satisfied.  By the way,
since my son actually bought it, we got a "student discount".

Tim Mullen