Re: Code Scanners

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: Code Scanners
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:28:45 -0400
eric@megageek.com wrote:
> Ok, I know this question gets asked every now and then, but this is an
> area that is constantly growing.
>
> I'm looking for a code reader for vehicles.  I would prefer one that...
>
> Does as many vehicle types as possible (but Ford, Jeep, and Chevy as a
> min)
> Hooks up to a laptop that allows readers while the car is being driven.
> Allows me to reset idiot lights.
> Preferable USB connection.
>
> Does such a best exist?  Who makes it?  I would be willing to spend some
> pretty good cash (hopefully <$500) on this.

   I use a Carchip E/X (http://www.carchip.com)

   It's cheap, <<$500.

   My version uses a serial port, but USB adapters might work or maybe
they have a cable or something that makes it work, I haven't tried it on
anything byt serial.

   Also I've never tried using it with a laptop live, but they are data
recorders also so they accumulate the data you set it to record and then
you clip it to your PC indoors and examine it all later.

   Works for me, I'd look at the newer versions to see if it addresses
some of your concerns better than mine would...

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca