RE: ups (uninterrupted power supply) questions?

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: ups (uninterrupted power supply) questions?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:48:12 -0800
> My understanding is that if a MOV is that it is a one time item.
> When hit by a surge, it will basically die - like a fuse.

Depends on how big a surge it is.  A well-designed system will have multiple
layers of protection, with a MOV being about the 3rd or 4th layer.  Big
spikes will kill them, so the previous layers need to knock down the big
spikes.  Then the MOVs take the spikes down even further, so the transorbs
can handle what's left.  Here's a sample circuit I found with a quick Google
:
http://www.cinemasource.com/products/power_conditioners/about/circuit.jpeg
from
http://www.cinemasource.com/products/power_conditioners/about/about_power_co
nd.html

But for the simple power strips with 2 or 3 MOVs and nothing else ... yeah,
they're pretty much "one shots".

Randall