ups (uninterrupted power supply) questions?

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: ups (uninterrupted power supply) questions?
From: Scott Hall <scott.hall@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 00:14:07 -0500
just lost another answering machine, vcr and cable modem.  I just got
two new monitors and I'd hate to lose them, too.  the i.s.c. guy at the
wife's office recommended a u.p.s. as sort of un uber-surge protector,
and it'd give me a chance to shut off the computer as well when the
power went out.  he's a nice guy and all, but I thought I'd ask anyway...

will a u.p.s. (or at least do some kinds of them) function like a surge
protector?  is it worth using it as one?  the only thing I'd use the
extended power for is just to get to the computer to shut it down
normally, otherwise everything else could go off whenever.  but I would
like maximum protection for the electronics, and those are spread all
over the house.  can I get one (large) u.p.s. and wire everything I want
protected into it?  am I better off just buying the best surge
protectors I can find, and if so, how 'bout brand names and
recommendations?  so far I've lost four v.c.r.s, two answering machines,
two d.v.d. players, and a cable modem.  all but the modem were hooked
into fairly new (less than two years old) protectors.  and if you know
of a cable protector, do tell.  I'm told (by the cable co.) that you
can't surge protect the co-ax because it will degrade the signal too
much for the modem.

and if I can use the u.p.s., any help with sizing, brands, etc.?  I know
wayyyy to little for the stuff I googled to be any use so far.

thanks.

scott
(um, shop related in that one of the t.v.s and v.c.r.s is in the garage...)