Re: 2005 toyota tacoma

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 2005 toyota tacoma
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:35:18 -0500
At 12:48 PM 2/13/2005 -0800, bob dyar wrote:

>my son's 2005 Tacoma has the maintenance needed light on. the book says this
>means an oil change which he had  done (not at the dealer). however the light
>is still on.
>How does he turn the light off???????

There are different ways depending on the vehicle.  Unfortunately, I don't
have any info on that truck.  But there is either a button of some kind,
some where under the dash, or you must reset it with a computer.

There may be another way.  AutoZone has just started selling a nice little
tool called the "CarChip" for $100.  It plugs into the diagnostic connector,
and will record your error codes, and some driving parameters like speed and
braking.  It also will record your error codes.  After driving with the
carchip plugged in, you remove it and connect it to your computer.  Then
you can display various info.  There is a "reset" function available then
through the your computer to tell the "carchip" to reset the car's computer.

This may work.  For $100 it definately looks like a neat tool for OBDII
equiped vechiles.  Actron also sells a couple of OBDII scanners.  I don't
know if any of them will reset the maint. light or not.

You can also take his truck to an AutoZone and see if their scanner can
reset the light.  They will usually hook up their scanner and dump the
codes for free.

John

Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic