RE: Air Hammer

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Air Hammer
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 15:31:41 -0800
> I picked up an air hammer from Horrible Freight yesterday and the power
> is dismal. I tried to use it to bust some tie rod ends and it wouldn't
> budge them. The impact force feels about the same as taking an 12 oz
> hammer and letting it freefall about two inches. It's been about 20
> years since I used an air hammer, but I remember then trying to shake
> themselves right out of your hands. Is it defective? Am I expecting too
> much of an HF tool? Am I using it wrong?

Are you sure it's getting enough air and the throttle is open wide ?

You have to put force against the gun to force the tool back into it for each
stroke.  If you're doing that and it still feels that weak, then I'd say
something is wrong with it.  I have what I think is the same tool, and the
biggest problem I have with it is that it's so powerful it's hard to control.

A short "whip" hose attached directly to the gun will help, too.  Some couplers
are fairly restrictive.

Randall