Re: Concrete Coatings

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Concrete Coatings
From: Richard Beels <beels@technologist.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 11:28:21 -0500
Let me re-iterate here my love for Vexcon Powercoat C&S Primer.  It's a
curing agent, sealer & primer for epoxy and urethane.  Vexcon Chemicals is
in Philly.  www.vexcon.com

It's basically liquid polystyrene.  You roll this stuff on right after
final finishing of the concrete.  It seals and helps with the cure by
retaining the water in the concrete.  You have to let it cure for a few
days before you epoxy.  You then re-coat with the primer and then epoxy on
the primer.  The primer bonds chemically to the concrete and the epoxy so
it has a better bond to concrete and to the epoxy than epoxy and
concrete.  We used it last year and it's great.  Brother-in-law used it and
has loved it as well.  Part of the garage is still unpainted and that stuff
been's on the floor for 11 months and it's still in great shape.  When we
want to paint it, we just need to mop the floor, give it a coast of primer
and epoxy.

No acid etching.  Works with radiant heating.  Recommended.

As to the epoxy, the lighter the better - both for light reflectivity and
finding stuff when it falls.  And semi-gloss is better than flat.  Skip the
sparkles.  Buy a couple squeegees as epoxy is "slippery when wet".

At 03/26/2004 at 19:16, Shakespearean monkeys danced on Eric@megageek.com's
keyboard and said:

>Well, I'm back into the mode to finish my shop floor.  It's 2500sq' and a
>big open space.
>
>I was thinking a light color (white or off white) to increase the light.
>
>I found some stuff called, Dura-Coat. (1800-790-2571)
>
>Has anyone tried this stuff?  Any opinions?
>
>Also, I'm going to pour the concrete, how long should I wait until I paint
>it?  (note, it will be a radiant heat floor, so I can heat it up early if
>that will help.)
>

>This leads me to one more question... (I'll ask that in another post to
>not confuse the thread subject lines.)

Cheers!