RE: Concrete Coatings

To: "'Richard Beels'" <beels@technologist.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Concrete Coatings
From: Gil Fuqua <gil.fuqua@cci-ir.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:21:06 -0600
 I would recommend against putting sand in the final mix based on my
experience.  It does have the benefit of providing a more slip resistant
finish, BUT, it's like having sandpaper on the floor when you clean it up.
Dust is trapped behind each sand particle embedded in the epoxy finish when
you sweep it, making it very difficult to get clean.  If you use a rag to
wipe up a spill, the embedded sand acts like sandpaper on the rag by
shredding it.

In my new garage, I used epoxy without the sand in the finish and I am much
happier...but more slippery.

Gil Fuqua
Nashville, TN