RE: parts cleaners

To: john__matthews@hotmail.com, mikey@b2systems.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: parts cleaners
From: pethier@isd.net
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 12:21:20 -0600
>On a slightly more esoteric track, I just came into possession of an
>industrial ultrasonic cleaner. Does anyone on the list have experience with

>these

Back in the stone age (OK, about 1970), when I worked in 3M's Central Research,
we had an ultrasonic cleaner parked in the corner of one of our fume hoods.
 I was warned not to put my hands into it when it was running since vibrations
through my fingernails were bad for my bone marrow.  I have no idea if that
was really true.

>and know what type of cleaning solution works best for engine parts?

We kept a soap solution in it all the time.  Some powdered soap which was common
in our labs and which I didn't see anywhere else.  If I saw the name again I
would probably recognize it.

Our resident mad scientist, a borderline-dangerous guy from Wisconsin, would
put various chemicals in it.  Other folks around the lab warned me to stay away
from the fume hood when he was doing this, as they knew of different kinds of
nasty gasses which could issue forth.  They didn't have to tell me twice, since
this guy tried to maim me (and often himself) several different ways when I
worked there.

It was not uncommon for folks to put a small part in a beaker in some acid or
solvent, then hold the beaker in the water with a pair of tongs.

How large is your ultrasonic unit?  Ours was sort of small-kitchen-sink size.

Phil Ethier