Re: parts cleaners

To: "Elton Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: parts cleaners
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 23:01:49 -0500
> I hope this open a thread . . I have a half-gallon ultrasonic unit
> made for jewelry which I use for small parts cleaning - carburetor
> parts, etc., and it is amazing . . I use a detergent like "Simple
> Green" and a dollop of  ammonia on the advice of a
> jeweler/watchmaker . . I'd love to know the more correct usages.
>
> Tony

I have a 1 gallon heated Crest ultrasonic cleaner in the shop, and I tried
the Simple Green and water solution and it ruined a Zenith Stromberg dashpot
cover.  The dashpot cover now looks like it has pock marks and pits all over
it.  I can only surmise that Simple Green really does not like the material
that ZS dashpots are made out of.  Fast Lightning works well as an all
purpose cleaner and so far I have not found anything that it reacts
negatively with.

As Phil Either said, keep your hands out of those Ultrasonic cleaners.  My
Crest manual specifically states this, as do the Bransonic cleaners that are
in the university labs.

Other uses besides cleaning car parts?  They're really good for cleaning
glass, including eye glasses... although I would be hesitant if you have any
of the high-tech coatings on your eye glasses.  Water and a drop or two of
dish soap and a 20-30 second dip for your eye glasses works wonders.

And last but not least, never let anything sit on the bottom of your
ultrasonic cleaner tank.  Especially auto parts, they'll eat right through
your stainless tank in a few weeks time if you use the machine heavily.

Kai