RE: R12 Freon Replacement

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: R12 Freon Replacement
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 13:15:32 -0700
> There is a major difference between propane/butane mixture and any
> fluorocarbon, including R134A.  Propane and butane will burn, or even
> explode under the right conditions.  Fluorocarbons are non-flammable, in
> fact are used as fire suppressants in computer rooms.

Well, except that R-134A is a hydro-fluro-carbon (HFC), not just a
fluorocarbon, and it will burn under the right circumstances.

It's a shame Purdue made him take it down, but a friend of mine used to have
a nice photo posted, of a very large, blow torch-like flame, caused by
deliberately igniting the vented contents of a R12-charged car A/C system.
It's true, the R12 itself does not burn, although it does form phosgene when
heated in the presence of copper (phosgene is a highly toxic gas, used for
chemical warfare in WWI and identified today as a potential agent for
chemical terrorism).  However the mineral oil used in R12 systems burns
quite well, especially when sprayed into air under pressure (like a pin-hole
leak in an A/C system).  Form a fine enough mist of it, and it's explosive,
too.

So, suit yourself, but I find it hard to get too excited over the
flammability of a bit of propane, compared to the hazards of the R12 we've
been using all these years.

> 1960 TR3A TS64803L [driving, but needs work]

Wow, how can you stand to drive it, with that rather large bomb right behind
your seat ?

Randall