Lifts - concrete psi

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lifts - concrete psi
From: "Wayne Farrington" <w.farrington@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 00:00:07 -0700
Thanks for all the input on lifts guys. I called the supplier and got the
exact package measurements and weight. Called the Yellow freight terminal in
Seattle and verified that they have a grade level door and could set it on my
race car trailer ok. Should be good to go there.

Changed my mind and decided to put the lift in the center bay vs the outside
bay as was originally planned. Concerned about having the lift up against the
outside wall and restricting the ability to work around that side of the car.
This means I have to move the ceiling fan, some lights and possibly one hose
real but I think it will be a better location in the long run.

The only thing that is still bothering me a little is the concrete spec. The
manufacturer states that for a 10K lift the concrete has to be 4in. thick at a
minimum, and 3000psi. My building manufacturer tells me the concrete is
"guaranteed" to be 2500psi minimum (with an emphasis on "minimum", meaning it
may be more I guess) and near as I can tell the slab thickness is 5 - 5.5in.
Of course the required slab thicknesses go up as the lift capacity goes up but
I noticed the 3000psi rating remains the same regardless. So I assume that my
slightly thicker then required slab does nothing to help my 2500psi rating?
Two different specs that are independent of each other?

What do you think? How critical is that 500psi? Is there a inexpensive way to
test the psi rating of a slab? Would I be better off to cut two big square
holes in the slab and pour two 6in. thick, 3000psi pads? I have no idea how to
tie them into the existing floor though. I suspect this may do more harm then
good by breaking up the "continuity" of the floor. But I'm no concrete guy.
Just trying to get a feel for how big a deal this is?

Thanks
Wayne