Re: R12 Freon Replacement

To: KVacek@ameritech.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: R12 Freon Replacement
From: LBC286@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 13:27:08 EDT
In a message dated 8/28/2003 9:22:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
KVacek@Ameritech.net writes:
The proponents of 134A conversions say that a conversion is
"merely" changing compressor oil and flushing the system, right?  That's not
usually trivial work - it takes time.  Lots easier to fix your leaks, make
sure the system is tight, vacuum it out, and recharge it with R-12.
- - - - - - - - - - - -

I have done 3 or 4 of the R134 conversions on some old cars, just to see if I
could resurrect air conditioners that weren't working.  I buy the kits at
Walmart for $35.  In every case, the AC worked when I followed the directions,
and it is still working fine.  The last one I did was about 18 months ago to a
1985 Toyota Tercel.  AC is still working.  The kits come with all the nozzle
adapters you need, plus the hose, oil and several cans of R134.  It even
includes stickers to show that the conversion was done.

I might add that all of these cars were almost void of R12, so very little
was vented to the air.  Also, all of them had some freon left, which indicated
that the systems were still intact.

Allen Hefner
'75 MG Midget (Parts or Project)
'99 Ford Contour SE Sport (2.5L 24v V6)
My Mom's '85 Toyota Tercel is also in the driveway