Re: welder

To: shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: welder
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 06:56:28 -0400
Dave Williams wrote:

>  I was thinking about trying to mount a 12V fan or something to
> ventilate it, but that'd just make it heavier.  Lately the squirrels
> have been chittering about just cutting the bottom of the helmet off
> below the lens, and attaching a one of those Nomex balaclavas they sell
> in the race car garb catalogs.  I don't need protection against
> grape-sized gobs of boiling metal, just something to keep the MIG
> spatter from setting my beard on fire.
The welding helmet is not there only to protect your eyes and keep hunks of hot
slag out of your beard; it keeps you from getting a nasty sunburn from all the
UV that is given off by the arc. Otherwise you could just get by with goggles.
The Nomex drape might work, but it might not. Don't cut the bottom any more
than
necessary to allow a little more head movement. Unfortunately, I suspect that
any cutting at the bottem will make the structure even less rigid than it
already is.

As far as steaming up the inside, you might want to apply some "Rain-X" to the
inside of the lens - there is a version that is intended for mirrors and inside
glass.

Mike

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
Email:(msloane@att.net)
Website: <http://www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Tractor images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world:  those who under-
stand binary arithmetic, and those who don't."