Re: welder

To: shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: welder
From: Dave Williams <ronin@aristotle.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 17:27:30 -0600
> bend if you breathe out too hard

 My problems are, the bottom of the helmet bumps my chest or throat when
I'm up against something and have to look straight down, and down here
in Dixie humidity, sometimes my welding "duty cycle" is limited to as
long as I can hold my breath, because the damned thing will fog up if I
don't.  Same problems with auto and regular helmets.

 I was thinking about trying to mount a 12V fan or something to
ventilate it, but that'd just make it heavier.  Lately the squirrels
have been chittering about just cutting the bottom of the helmet off
below the lens, and attaching a one of those Nomex balaclavas they sell
in the race car garb catalogs.  I don't need protection against
grape-sized gobs of boiling metal, just something to keep the MIG
spatter from setting my beard on fire.

 The other thing I've been meaning to do is nag my wife about the cap
she promised to make.  I've seen pictures of old-time welders with cloth
hats that had long ear flaps and a flap down their neck in back; these
were called pipefitter's hats, and they were to keep you from getting
weld spatter in your ears or down the back of your shirt when you were
laying underneath something welding above, etc.  I do more than I like
of that on cars, and I have this horrible vision of a nice hot gob going
into my ear.

--
I've got a secret / I've been hiding / under my skin / | Who are you?