Re: Blast cabinet

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Blast cabinet
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 13:55:03 -0700
If you are looking for something cheap for occasional use that doesn't take up
space, consider a cardboard box.  I started with a decent size box and taped
three of the flaps vertical.  I left the final flap folded down.  I then got a
piece of Plexiglas slightly larger than the box and taped it to the three
extended flaps.

For the sand part of the picture, I bought a 25lb portable sand blaster from
Sears for about $25.  I got the sand from Home Depot.  To use it, I set it up
outside, put on a long sleeve shirt, gloves, respirator, and goggles.  Put the
part inside and reach in where the flap down and blast away.

To reduce the sand coming back at me, I took the lid from a margarine tub and
put it around the nozzle of the sandblaster.  To recycle the sand, I just use a
dustpan and dump it into an old mesh baseball cap and sift it into a bucket to
dump back into the blaster.

When you are done, fold up the box and stick it out of the way.  It may not be
as nice as other cabinets, but it is cheap and easy.

Brian Kemp
72 TR6, 73 GT6, 91 Legacy