RE: Fancy mechanic's gloves

To: "Stuart MacMillan" <macmillan@home.com>
Subject: RE: Fancy mechanic's gloves
From: "Paul Mele" <Paul.Mele@usermail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 21:02:20 -0400
FWIW, I am a physician, so my hands need to be uninjured and look
presentable; also, little cuts allow nasty germs to get in...not  a good
thing.  Lastly, my parters would sneer if I showed up in the ER to get
fixed!

For the past 20 years, I've solved this dilemma by using the latex (or
nitrile) gloves underneath a pair of thin unlined leather gloves...about $8
per pair (Norhtern, Home Depot, etc).  I have some that I keep fairly clean,
others for the dirtier work.  I do 80% of my work with the leather; finer
work, like starting a difficult nut, or feeling a ridge,  by just slipping
off the leather glove for a sec and using the rubber one underneath.
Slipped wrenches and sharp edges no longer cause any grief.

I don't use any gloves for purely electrical work (unless it's live).

As we learned in med school, you can do anything you need to with gloves
on...just takes some practice.  I liken it to learning to use any new tool,
or teaching my kids to eat with a knife and fork....initially, it seems
better to just use your fingers, but you later realize that the right tools
make any job easier.

My last stitches, from the windshield wiper blade holder, were in 1977.