Re: Bleeder Valves

To: "Gorman, George" <GGORMAN@dsava.com>
Subject: Re: Bleeder Valves
From: Bob Bownes <bownes@emi.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 1997 13:07:32 -0500
Gorman, George wrote:

> Does anyone have a nifty (i.e., easy) way to modify an air compressor tank to
> make the water drain valve more accessible?  My 60 gal vertical air tank has
> the drain at the bottom (of course), but even though I have the tank sitting
>on
> 6X6's to give me some room, it's still a pain to crawl under and drain the
> water from the tank.  Only solution I can come up with is to remove the
>current
> drain, replace it with an elbow and piece of pipe going off to the side of the
> tank, and reinstalling the drain on the end of the new line.  Any better ideas
> out there?

Sure!

Step 0: shut everything off & drain the compressor
Step 1: Get a 1/8" NPT right angle & 12" of 1/8" NPT iron pipe
Step 2: Remove the bleeder valve
Step 3: put the angle on the bottom of the tank & the 12" pipe into the
angle.
Step 4: Attach the wizzy 'auto drain' kit from Grainger on the end of
the pipe.

Seriously, the auto drain kits are wonderfull. It consists of an
electrically operated valve and a timer. You set the time for whatever
you like (1 hour, 20 min, etc) and it opens the valve for 10 sec every
interval. Never have to drain the tank again.
 Big Win, cost about $130 last I checked.

iii