Re: [Mg-t] Bonnet handle orientation

To: "'Rick Lindsay'" <richardolindsay@gmail.com>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Bonnet handle orientation
From: Bob Grunau <grunau.garage@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 07:59:28 -0500
Quick question or two, please, regarding bonnet release handles;

With the octagon and 'MG' reading correctly, the bonnet latch handles, from
side to side, cannot extend in the same direction, when latched - or perhaps
the handles should be 'handed' - but mine are all the same. So the question
at hand is:
-Handles are "Handled " , 2 left, 2 right, all read MG properly orientated
when closed and horizontal.

Assuming that the handles are horizontal when latched, should the 'MG' read
upside down on on the right side,
-NO

 with the handle extending rearward,
-YES, all handles extend rearward when latched.

 or should it read correctly but extending forward?
-NEVER.

 And am I correct in assuming that both sides release with a
counter-clockwise turn?
-No again, both sides release when handles are rotated up and forward.

Handles and Latch mechanisms are handed, so two right side, two left side,
left and rights are mirror images.

 Sadly I removed the original handles ages ago, and of course, didn't
adequately document the configuration.
-Yep, we all did that at one time, latches are not easy to figure out if off
the car. As I recall, the spring clip goes to the front of the car and there
is a difference in length of slot guiding the latch. So lay out the latches,
yiou should find two left, two right.

Bob

Mg-t@autox.team.net
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive