Re: [Mg-t] Making a gasket

To: Lew Palmer <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com>
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Making a gasket
From: JohnD <johnsfolly@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 22:41:47 -0400
Although a straight  edge seems to show the surfaces to be flat, after the
7th attempt using various techniques and sealants and gaskets, I gave up and
put in my 60-year old thermostat and housing and --voila!-- no leak.
Unfortunately, the thermostat does not close, so it only serves to impede
the flow of water through the system. But that's better than water flowing
through the system and back into the watershed. Unfortunately, all that
banging around up there with that big fat hose...I managed to screw up the
capillary tube  somehow and my temp gauge quit.

I remember there was someone out there rebuilding these old dual  gauges.
Anyone have a name or contact?

Also, is there any quick source for a temporary replacement gauge that has a
BSP capillary tube fitting for the water tank? I know Stewart Warner used to
sell one, but I think the Chinese have abandoned British pipe thread. I've
emailed my local club a few minutes ago hoping someone has something extra
awaiting for other stages of the restoration to be completed.

John Deikis
Chelsea, MI

Ed said:
>Are you SURE the 'housing' is *DEAD* *FLAT*, John ??

>YOU check or Machine Shop ??

>Take a half dozen of yer [ straight <G> ] hairs.
Cut in 1/3rds and layout on block surface.
*Sans* gasket, put housing in-place and *tighten* *nuts* to say
5 - 10 inch/pounds [ makes sure housing is drawn down
*EVENLY* <G> !!

>Now try to extract hairs around housing but 1/3 way
around from 1st tried/pulled.  Keep going'  around
 1/3rd a circle at a time.  EASIEST one out is bad spot
<VBEG> !!