[Mg-t] Making a gasket

To: MG T List <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mg-t] Making a gasket
From: JohnD <johnsfolly@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 19:15:47 -0400
I can't get the joint at the bottom of the thermostat housing to not leak.
First I used a paper gasket. Then paper and a light schmear of RTV on either
side.
Then I cut a gasket from what looks like neoprene embedded cork gasket
material. Put a bead of RTV on both surfaces, finger tightened and let set
up over night. Then wrenched it down the next day. Still leaks. I have
cleaned up both mating surfaces and I realize that the engine side is not
entirely flat. So, what to do if I need to rest drive tomorrow? How about if
I cut a gasket out of a piece of rubber, perhaps a bit thicker than an inner
tube? Or maybe another neoprene-cork gasket but not tighten the two nuts so
much?
All suggestions welcome.  Thanks!
John Deikis
Chelsea, MI
--
*Raising money for children's cancer research by driving *
*the cross-country Rallye to Reno in a '53 MG TD*

Mg-t@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $11.47
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive