Re: British Number Plates, Badge Bars and Driving Lights

To: yd3@nvc.net
Subject: Re: British Number Plates, Badge Bars and Driving Lights
From: Charlie Baldwin <mgcharlie@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 08:32:29 -0400
Blake,

Your points are well taken, but I haven't had any of those problems in
practice.
I mounted a Moss badge bar with accessory lights last winter after
driving my TD since 1970 without that setup.  This summer I drove it at
least 2000 - 2500 miles, 1500 of which was to Gatlinburg and back.  I
used my driving and fog lights (at different times) in the mountains of
Virginia, North Carolina, and Tennesee with no perceptible vibration of
the lights.  I also drove at all different  speeds without any
difference in the way that the car's cooling system worked.  In other
words, no overheating problems.
I guess your last point depends on who or what runs into the front of
your car, but I've had no problem with the lights jumping out and
hitting me as I walk by, the way that the ends of the bumpers do.
I'm familiar with the type of mounts that you mention, but the down side
of those are that they require an extra non-original hole to be drilled
through the apron and the frame extensions below.  Your way worked for
the brand of lights that you mounted, but would be a problem with Lucas
SLR/SFTs.
If anyone would like a picture of either of those mountings, I can email
them one.

Charlie