Re: First Cranking in a While

To: wtsnyder@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: First Cranking in a While
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 08:27:56 -0400
Bill,
  One approach is to disassemble the engine, examine bearings, measure
valve springs, replace gaskets, etc.  I met a person once who said that
he did that.  Most, however, trust that their storage efforts that
included oil in cylinders, draining carb gas, slacking valve adjusters,
turning engine with the crank from time to time would suffice to keep it
all in good order.
  You could remove the rocker cover, adjust valves, pour clean oil all
over rockers & shaft and pushrods, put a teaspoon of oil into each
cylinder, turn engine with crank, then put a cloth over the sparkplug
holes to catch oil sprayed out at next step.  Spin engine on the starter
until oil pressure gauge flickers.  Replace the sparkplugs, check static
timing of distributor, then start her up.
  Happy motoring.
Bob