Re: Disc Brakes for a TD?

To: Bob Donahue <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Subject: Re: Disc Brakes for a TD?
From: Charlie Baldwin <ewsinc@suscom.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 08:50:24 -0400
Bob,
Yes, there is a fairly easy bolt-on way to change to front disc brakes
using MGA or MGB components.  I have MGA front discs on my TD and have
also changed to wire wheels which makes it easier yet.  The stock TD
brakes are only adequate for someone who rarely gets above 30 mph and
drives in a vacuum with no other cars around.  The disc brakes make you
feel as though you are no longer driving on eggs fearing that something
will cause you to make a panic stop.  They are much safer for today's
driving conditions and if you want to drive the TD in the spirited
manner that a sports car is meant to be.
It would be easier for someone like you who has an MGB to look at the
similarities between the TD and B to imagine how it all works.  To
retain the stock TD steel wheels an adapter plate must be made up to go
from the 4 lug bolt MGA or MGB hub to the 5 bolt TD wheels.
Email me back and I can give you some more details.  I'm currently
working with a friend to convert his steel wheel TD to use the entire
MGB setup from king pins on out.  This provides a more modern, stronger,
and safer front end.  You should also consider adding an MGB front
anti-roll bar.
Charlie