Re: Disc Brakes for a TD?

To: "Bob Donahue" <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>, "mg-t" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Disc Brakes for a TD?
From: "Dave & Liz DuBois" <ddubois@sinclair.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 16:53:06 -0700
Bob,

You obviously never lived in Southern California, where the
streets are heavily crowned so that they will serve for
storm runoff.  While they didn't get a lot of rain, when it
does rain, all the streets run water from curb to curb.
 Those of us lived in that area soon learned that when it
was raining, you always drove with one foot on the brakes
to keep them dry.  I learned that lesson so well that to
this day I always get my foot on the brakes whenever I see
a puddle on the road.

As for disk brakes not being affected by water, while they
are not as bad as drum brakes, they are still not 100%
after getting wet.  This is especially true when one has
wire wheels as on a MGB.  This was expecially true after
running onthe highway for any distance in the rain - there
are no brakes for the first half a second or so (it feels
more like an hour and a half when cars are stopping in
front of you).  I even went so far as to get groved disks
for our MGB to minimize the problem, since we live in
Western Washington State and spend a lot of our time
driving in the rain.

Cheers,
Dave