re: Temerature

To: mgt <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Temerature
From: "S. Allen" <sallen3663@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 09:59:42 -0400
First, I agree that the guy needs to check if he has a thermostat.
For cars that had a heater added at any time in their life the old
bellows type thermostat that were original would expand and block one
of the lines to the heater core in most installations, so they'd often
pull it.

Second, I read on the O'Connor Classics site a few years back about
using a MGB plastic seven-bladed fan in place of the original
four-bladed metal fan.  The article claimed that it would lower the
engine temp by 10degC.

Prior to that I'd had my block boiled out when I had it rebuilt, added
a modern thermostat, put a coolant recovery system on it, and
carefully measured out an 80/20 mixture, (80% distilled water, 20%
coolant) with water wetter added and I was still hovering around
90degC plus or minus on long country drives in the hot Virginia
summer.

I had a BGT that was my daily driver, so one very hot July day when I
was heading to Orange in Central Virginia I swapped the fans out.

Damned if it didn't work.  Temp hovered around 80 the whole time.

So this year, when I finish my latest round of work on the '52 I am
going to make the MGB fan a permanent summer mod.  They're up around
$90 from Moss, but a guy over on the B-list had some extras and gave
me a deal.

I'll put the original fan back on around Thanksgiving.

Hope this helps?

Scott Allen
52 TD
74 /12 BGT