Re: Gunson Colortune 500

To: peter-thiel@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: Gunson Colortune 500
From: Ted Jackson <ted@the-jacksons.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 12:08:34 -0500
peter-thiel@sbcglobal.net wrote:

>Hi Ted,
>    Due to the early replies, it seemed you had the scans taken care of. The
>Colortune is a very useful device, in fact, I picked up a second one a
>couple months ago to be able to check the two cylinders on my Norton
>motorcycle, and each carb on the TD at the same time. I thought it
>interesting that Dave Dubois said to use cylinders 1 and 4, I would have
>used 2 and 3, but I'll have to think that out. Come to think of it, I can
>try both ways and see if there's any difference. (Any particular reason to
>use the ouside cylinders, Dave?)
>    When tuning the carbs for mixture, make sure as Dave said "you just tune
>the engine normally", that is, your other tune up items are done first -
>points, plugs, timing, synchonize idle speed and throttle linkage, then
>leave the air filter off, and you might even check that the jet needles are
>the same and at the same height. Hopefully all that is done and you can just
>plug in the glass plug and set it!
>Best wishes from a rainy weekend in Connecticut,
>Pete Thiel
>53 TD

Thanks for the input Pete.  You're the second person to say cylinders 3
& 3.  Maybe if Dave replies we can get a "religious" war going on the
topic 23ers versus 14ers.  I'll watch with great interest - from the
sidelines!  :-)

Ted

--
Ted Jackson
Toronto, ON  CANADA

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0513-2, 2005.04.01
Tested on: 02/04/2005 12:08:35 PM