:Re: mods

To: mg-t <mg-t@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: :Re: mods
From: Charlie Baldwin <ewsinc@suscom.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 09:28:51 -0500
John,
Here are the mods I've made to my TD:
MGA front disc brakes
60 spoke wire wheels
MGB front sway bar
MGB rear axle
The wire wheels can come with the other two conversions, actually making
them easier.

I've also got access to a TD that has a Volvo B18 engine and overdrive
transmission in it.  It fits perfectly with no cutting and results in
twice the horsepower.  Being a four cylinder, it sounds similar to the
stock TD engine (no V8 burble).  The shifter ends up the same place,
using a stock TD carpet kit.  B18 Volvos have SU carbs and exhaust on
the same side as the stock TD engine, so there is nothing obvious with
the hood/bonnet shut.  This is a better conversion than a B series BMC
engine (MGA/MGB) for this reason. We plan to upgrade the front end on
this car to MGB king pins, disc brakes, sway bar.  This setup is much
stronger than the TD or MGA king pins.  Cost for MGB parts is much less
than MGA.  We will also put a later MGB tube type axle in to accept the
extra power.  The owner, however, doesn't want wire wheels so we plan to
use MGA wheels which look similar to TD wheels, but will bolt on to the
MGB 4 lug hubs.

I can just imagine how sweet a car this will be with the combination of
better handling and braking that mine has, along with the extra power
that the B18 provides.  In fact, I'm working on gathering parts for a
B20 conversion to my TD.  The B20 is basically a bored out B18, but is
stronger and naturally produces more power.  In stock form it was rated
at 115 hp.  However, I will use a few parts to get perhaps 125 hp out of
it or more.

The Volvo goodies are easily available and in many cases cheaper than MG
stuff.  For instance, I paid $150 for the Volvo overdrive transmission
with Laycock D type overdrive.  An early MGB with D type or later one
with LH type would set you back $500 - $800.  Later Volvos used a J type
overdrive which is stronger, but also larger, and won't fit in the stock
TD tranny tunnel.  I got a B20 D type OD transmission which is stronger
than what they used on the B18.

These modifications make the TD a much better car for our time, being
able to keep up with highway traffic, stopping well, having power for
any situation, while retaining the character of the car.  The Volvo
engine, after all, is still quite vintage.

Charlie Baldwin
'52 TD, '60 MGA, '62 Austin Healey 3000, '66 MGB, '70 Volvo 1800 E