RE: Tach reduction "gearbox" (52 TD)

To: <jfischer@supercollider.com>, <mg-t@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Tach reduction "gearbox" (52 TD)
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:13:29 -0600
James,

The tach reduction gear is not difficult to repair. I've done several of
them over the years.

Usually the problem is that the gears start to wear and eventually start to
slip.

To repair: Drill out the rivets and separate the two case halves. Clean out
the old waxy grease. Then put the two halves back together, rotate the two
halves so that the gears engage with each other slightly more than before
(not too tight, but not too loose either). Then redrill two holes in
alignment with the holes on the opposite case half and set new rivets to
hold the whole thing together. Screws and nuts can be used instead of rivets
(which may be hard to find) - but use a lockwasher on each as these things
are subject to a lot of vibration. The now-blank holes can be filled with a
little body putty to seal the off. Regrease and you're done.

1/2 hour max job.

Cheers,
Lew Palmer