TC engine shudder

To: "mg" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: TC engine shudder
From: "tnewton" <timnewton@menziesgroup.com.au>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 08:00:44 +1000
Hi All
I have a problem that some one may be able to help diagnose. When reversing,
the engine seriously shudders until the clutch has fully engaged. This is on
flat surfaces and regardless of high or low engine revs.
I have adjusted the clutch per spec. and have no problem with forward motion,
a smooth take off with no grabbing, slip or shudder. About 2 inches of pedal
travel before the clutch engages. I have tightened the front  engine mounts
slightly (I don't know how tight they should be, or how compressed the rebound
rubber should be???  The rubbers appear to be in good condition and are not
distorted ) and checked to see that the rear mounts are also tight (appears to
be no ability to tighten these like the front, the engine mounts just sit on
the rubber blocks???).
Am I right in my  recall that someone on the list mentioned that the engine
has a bracket at the rear that also supports the engine, and it is not unusual
for this to crack and requires replacement or welding? From under the car I
cannot locate this?

Any advise would help
Tim
TC 9256